Friday, September 16, 2011

What really happens?

 Well usually when someone moves into a new neighborhood or area the reaction of the natives is to either greet the newcomers with open arms or shun them. The reaction is usually based on the persons differences.
  I'm going to get back to the neighborhood example a little later but right now lets focus on what happens when some one moves to a new country or area where they are different compared to natives. In situations like this many times the newcomers just try to fit in and be normal which is perfectly okay( I mean really no one wants to be an outcast). But sometimes no matter how hard that person tries to fit in the natives won't let them, or don't even try to get to know them.
 I think this happens a lot because people in moderns times people are really quick to judge others even though they have problems of their own. For example if a black family(or any other family of a different race) moves into an all Asian neighborhood (or any other non diverse neighborhood) they are not likely to be welcomed. The neighbors would start immediately start judging them based on the color of their skin, their clothes ,the way they talk, etc and come up with an a complete background story without even saying two words to them. They will use stereotypes and think " Dang it why'd they have to pick our neighborhood to ruin." This is another scenario where the rule is "if you are different you are not welcome."
 Yet the natives may not always be the ones doing wrong. Like when Christopher Columbus arrived in America. He had no respect for the natives or their culture his only goal was to enslave the natives and use their resources. This lack of respect for the natives created a major conflict and eventually lead to many deaths.
  I live in an all black neighborhood (well I guess its not all black any more) and a Hispanic family moved in the house next door. I was really surprised because I didn't usually see people of a different race in my neighborhood at all (or any where for that matter, I was a shut in who went to an all black school). These people were very fascinating to me and I was happy to see them there but like I said I'm a shut in and super anti-social so I never spoke to them and when I say never I mean NEVER. But then as time passed I noticed no one talked to them I mean I had an excuse I'm awkward and shy beyond belief but what was everybody else's. I lived in a very social neighborhood but no body was talking to the new family on our block"was it because they were different?" I always wanted to know.
 Its been about 5 or 6 years since they moved in and still no one is talking to them. I'm pretty ashamed to say that I don't even know my next door neighbors name.
Although sometimes new arrivals cause conflicts its obviously natives and new comers can live in harmony. If you don't believe me just walk through Hyde Park and see the proof in the people. :)

1 comment:

  1. Eboni, I think you are making a point in this blog. I also think that too often, people "want" to stay within a "same" group of people as them. A clear example you put out is within neighborhoods. Even in my neighborhhod,it's not so diverse. Recently, new people have been moving in. There are already many stereotypes and mean comments toward them. "look how that person dresses and walks, he's up to no good. We should stay away from him." As human, and as time moves on, I think it's very easy to judge people without even knowing them. As for myself, I cannot say I haven't done this, but I can say that I know it's wrong and unfair.
    Jocelyne Chavez

    ReplyDelete